Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Adding workouts to our walking - toward 10,000

I am all for cross training
Depending on intensity 100 to 200 steps
per minute
I have been finding ways to walk 10,000 steps and cross training. Yesterday I worked out 23 minutes pretty intense with weights and a total gym. To reach my 10,000 steps and tonight I will use a stationary bike for 20-30 minutes. Yesterday just my steps were 9,600+. I am not done with my steps, but the biking will give me 3500 to 6000 steps based on how intense I am able to do the workout. My actual steps are not done yet, but it will be between 8,000 and 9,000 steps. Add the 20-30 minute biking. Tomorrow I will walk a couple miles after work and Thursday I will do another strength workout. Throw in yard work, walks, I will keep this body moving.
Earlier this week I read a few articles on the possibility that  Alzheimer's really could be Type 3 diabetes? Researchers state more studies are needed, but the possibilities to deal with it may be more helpful. Eating a heart healthy diet or even if we have to eat a diet good for diabetes is worth it if it helps us keep our brain healthy. Drinking water and walking is good for our brain. As we walk we get blood to our brain and all the nutrients our brain needs. Walking keeps our brain growing. Today I read an article on stress by Dr. Pamela Walker, PhD, a Clinical Psychologist in private practice at Cooper Aerobics Center writes, "Sedentary jobs that involve mostly writing, typing and processing verbal information primarily use the left side of the brain. To avoid "left-brain overload," give your brain a break each hour by walking vigorously for a few minutes. Simply walk up and down stairs or take a quick walk around your building. The bilateral movements of walking not only engages both sides of the brain, but it also enhances blood circulation and provides more oxygen to the brain."
I think with aging and things that may be part of our genes we can try to slow down the way we age by walking and diet. Maybe science will reveal more on these things. It will be good to see what we learn.
Check out

http://blog.aarp.org/2012/09/28/alzheimers-is-it-diabetes-of-the-brain/
Building muscle is possible
One of things I read from Dr. Oz this week was the tendency of people pursuing heath and learning more, they may not consult the doctor, but try to solve problem themselves. We need to hear that as we learn more. I always like the phrase in Prov. 24:6b, "with numerous advisers there is victory"
Well I think is time to work the right side of the brain with some biking. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net