Friday, August 5, 2016

The danger in drifting and neglecting spiritual disciplines

True story baby rescued
 Can you imagine sunbathing and looking up and seeing your baby 1km away drifting out in the ocean. This true story ends well but the parents neglect could have been very costly.
After studying Hebrews 2:1-4 I made the following note. Neglecting our  spiritual life can cause us to drift away from the Lord, Reeves - neglecting here gives a warning but the warnings in Hebrews will explore even more dangerous problems. Drifting is so easy to do. When we neglect spiritual disciplines such as reading the Bible, praying, going to church, witnessing, Bible study, devotions, seeking daily cleansing and forgiving, encouraging others, loving others as Christ loved we open the door for drifting. Some of these disciplines are more important than others, I list them because by neglect in these basic practices we can lose ourselves. We find ourselfes without purpose and discouraged with the trials and struggles of life. 
In Africa the most dangerous creature is the tiny mosquito that carries malaria. It kills thousands of people every year. Snakes, large predators such as lions, hippos and elephants each only kill over 100 every year. The mosquitoes so small he would hardly notice. Yet many more suffer by this tiny creature. 
Drifting seems so small in comparison to other actions that Hebrews warns about, but more Christians suffer spiritually from drifting and neglect then any other problems.
Picture ourselves in a boat and we fail to anchor or tie the boat up. Without a motor or paddle the boat will move with the current. Sometimes we are playing in the waves and are not aware that we are in a rip tide that can carry us quickly out to sea. People unaware of what they were facing have died trying to swim back in. Many of these people are strong swimmers. You can't swim straight into shore. Knowing you are in a rip tide and swimming parallel to the shore you can quickly be out of the rip tide and able to swim in. My knowing this saved my life or at least saved a lifeguard coming in the water and get me. I singled to him to let him know I was going to swim parallel, which I did about 50 feet then I easily was able to swim into the shore. The riptide was really strong and carried me a good hundred yards before I knew what was happening. They are capable of taking you out several miles. For a minute I was just playing in the water not knowing that I was in danger. 
Drifting tumbleweed wasted life
That is how neglect and drifting work the Christian life, we are in lala land and all of a sudden we're hit with danger.
From neglect we find ourselves at a lost in trials and temptation. When an unexpected danger comes we are unprepared.
Let me illustrate personal safety, if we neglect being alert for those who might hurt us, or not being aware of our surroundings we will not notice the predator lying in wait. A shopper goes out to the car arms filled with bags, not looking around will not see the thief hiding near by. Neglecting watching may cost a life. Always use your eyes and walk back to the store if you think you are in danger.
OK staged, but he would be in trouble
When it comes to our spiritual life we can neglect so many things. I know church is filled with imperfect people, but we need them for encouragement. We have so many bibles today to enjoy, we need to read them. Prayer is simple to do, talking to God will get you talking to His so much God won't be able to shut you up. You have troubles and cares take them to the Great Physician for understanding and care. These are also practicing your spiritual muscles to fight sin and evil. We are to overcome evil with good. People today need love and encouragement from you. That is God's #1 way to love people today. 
I'm an old man and I am trusting God to yet work through me. e can neglect these thing and drift away. Keep walking

Being in tune with God helps us face our darkest and difficult times.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net