Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The internet can be good

One of the newspaper postings I get links stories from the Washington Post on health. One helpful article is titled, "It Is Family Not Friends Who May Help You Live Longer." Within the article linked were two studies supporting how longevity is improved with family and also friends. 
When we retire being alone can be one of our biggest enemies. We can benefit from reduced stress from work, but I suspect there is a people element in our work that is good for us. Studies in health are often a numbers game. Exercise, Family, Friends, or lack of has an impact on our longevity.
Two of the studies followed people 6 years after retirement. The other study look at social connection throughout life.
Often social media and the Internet is criticized for people posting off-the-wall kind of stuff and bad information. In my own way, I like to push back a little bit and look for many of the good benefits of social media and internet research. In the fatman blog I focus on things that concern an old man about life and health. 
In my Liberian posts I am pursuing my passions to help Liberians fulfilling a lifetime ambition to serve the Lord anyway I can and show His love and care. I trained to be a missionary in psychology and pastoral care. As a missionary, education and medicine play a part.
As we age it is good to know what helps us and what doesn’t. 
If we are connected to the family only 6% of us will die in our first six years. If we do not have a good family connection then it is 14% more likely that we will die in the first six years. 
Being a cub fan I have seen the Cubs under bad management. There were so many mistakes every game and that added up to more losses then wins. This year we have good players but I've also seen the difference in having a good manager. 
In health I have seen an analogy that we are players. The coaches and manager could be our health team. If we look at good reports and information, we have a better ability to make good decisions on the field of life. No doctor or manager can replace our involvement in our health plan. 
Having a strong family
One of my health advisers
supporting us can improve our chance to survive six years after retirement by 8%. There is no guarantee, but if we know the numbers, that may help us pay attention to the importance of family when we get older. 
We are better off being connected socially with others in church or other interest groups. Loneliness can be like sedimentary living, bad eating habits, and smoking. If we make the right choices concerning these things we improve our chances. 
I think you will find the following articles from the Washington Post interesting. This connection was made possible by the Internet. Think of the Internet is a tool. If we learn to use it can be a great benefit. As always keep walking
Reviewed by Barb Reeves RN.




https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/02/16/joining-a-book-club-church-or-sports-group-linked-to-longer-life-after-retirement/?tid=a_inl

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net