Tuesday, October 24, 2017

A lesson from boxing, get off the mat

Somewhere between high school and first year in college some 47 years ago Simon and Garfunkel wrote and sang a song called “The Boxer.” The winters and city of New York can be hard on anyone trying to cut out a living from the bottom up. The boxer in the clearing shows visual reminder of how hard life can be. Boxing has always had it’s roots with poor people. 
It seems my dad and all the young men from the depression who went in to the service boxed, or so it seems. Have you every put on the gloves and tried to knock out your opponent who in turn is trying to do the same? It sounds crazy, but I am glad I tried a few bouts. I learned I took more punches then I gave out. Just a few and I went into retirement. Fighting bullies or attackers on the street was easier. Most never expected a kid with CP to fight back. 
I haven’t met a fellow CPer who was anything but brave. It eats at me that there are those who would steal, bully, mistreat any who has to deal with pain, balance, falling, and a number of other issues. For me it left me with a bit of a short-fuse. Coming to faith in Christ, God over the years has helped me put down the gloves. I know that is a motivator for me to help others one way or another. 
Over the years I have enjoyed the Robert Parker character Spencer and Hawk boxers who keep getting up, helping others who basically are being bullied and knocked down. The characters stay ageless as they return to the gym to restore their health to keep at it. 
The Psalms are like a spiritual gym, a place where we can meet God and God can restore us. We have needs in our body, mind and our spirit. The world, sin, and spiritual forces are more brutal than a New York or Chicago winter. There are too many in pain today, hurt by others and warned down with care. There is a Great Physician who has balm greater than the balm of Gilead. (Check Wayne Stiles link below for back ground on the balm of Gilead)
Lately I have been biking with HITT 30 minute, 45 minute workouts. On my TV using You tube app, type "cycling workouts" and a variety of workouts come up. I’m back training in the gym with Spencer, Henry and Hawk like a boxer. Just a CP guy trying to keep walking. 
In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of ev'ry glove that laid him down
Or cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame
"I am leaving, I am leaving"
But the fighter still remains, mmm mmm
https://www.waynestiles.com/a-balm-in-gilead-your-solution-is-nearer-than-you-imagine/#more-14044

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net