Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Paul Smith, a well lived life

He types his art with One finger
Paul Smith confirms a God-given
talent and "my finger".
My aunt Wilma sent me a video of Paul Smith who is an artist that uses a typewriter to create his art. It is an older story but I was not aware of. What interested me was his self education. I took time to observe him and get to know him like I have hundreds of disabled kids. He blew me away!
In 2004 a local news program where Paul lives in a nursing home in Oregon at the age of 83 Paul demonstrated How he used the typewriter to draw. The video clip that I saw was just under 5 minutes. What makes the video so powerful is the fact that Paul is severely disabled with cerebral palsy. With one finger he uses eight keys on a typewriter to mark out his drawing. I thought the report also drew attention to the character and personality that Paul had. I saw the date 2004 and I thought it would be unlikely that Paul was still with us. So like I often do I search the net to find out more about him. 
As I studied his artwork I noticed not only the keys used to draw his art but also the way he uses the ink on the ribbon to create his colors, light and shadow and wonderful feel he generates using techniques that went beyond just to keys. As type writers and inks changed so did his art. He was able to express more as the years went by.
He would work 3 to 4 hours a day on his art. When you watched him work you could see the effort it took to do it. Paul himself did not concern himself with the effort but with what he was trying to create. If you got caught up with how he moves in his handicap you may miss what are you seeing of him as an artist. With Paul it wasn't anybody could do this if they work hard enough but that he had a God given ability to do the art. Most people would seeing this video see what we would tell students; “See if you work hard enough you could fulfill your dreams.” It is kind of like watching Michael Jordan and if you work hard enough you could be like Mike. Paul said, “It is not, if you work hard enough you can be an artist; but it is about, ‘What can you do?’”
FDR, more than keys
As I spent time getting to know Paul and seeing how he work the ink and keys into his drawing I can see the artist at work. Paul was born in 1921 and he wasn't expected to live out of infancy. He never learned to read and write. He lived at home with his parents until 1967 when his parents passed away. In is 46 years with his parents traveled with him all over the US. He took a trip to the Bahamas. Like many handicapped kids the parents gave Paul many wonderful experiences.
At 11 years old he began to use the typewriter to draw experiences. One person commented this is not about the content of his art but how he does it. I can see getting wrapped up in the amazement of Paul working through his handicap. But I think it did matter because it is what made him an artist.  What Paul drew was his life.There is a beautiful picture of a squirrel who came up to him to be fed. You can see in his drawing how the squirrel comes to life. He drew people and you can see in his art the people that he cared for. Look at the FDR painting.  He loved trains and art. 
His art today eight years after his death has grown in popularity and is being sold. In Paul's life most of his art was given away or was displayed in the nursing home where he lived. He loved music, church and prayers, chess, and people. He lived over 40 years in a nursing home and was well cared for. It is a lot easier for people to care for you if you're a nice guy. In 2004 Paul moved to be closer to family but he soon missed his friends of 37 years in the home and move back to Oregon. He passed away in 2007. 
Can us see # ( ) - detail of Mona Lisa 
Today Paul would've learn to walk sooner and maybe learned to read and write. His ability to play chess and express his artistic ability in words leads me to think that he would've learned to read and write. But I'm not exactly sure because each person's learning disabilities are unique to them. Paul said, “I am a self-made man, but I goofed.” Would we in his education today miss the mark completely on Paul's ability as an artist? Would Paul have the three hours a day to develop the techniques of the typewriter to do his art? Would that be encouraged or would emphasis be on a watered down curriculum that would've put his art in the closet? Reading and writing may have open doors up for Paul. Working with Paul earlier in his life may have opened up of their experiences as well. School, art, and thinking don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. 
Paul was an accomplished chess player, music lover, and spiritual person. These are probably things his parents built into his life and I don't think they would've been developed in school. What do you think? 

Doctors thought Paul would die in childhood. This self-made man lived almost to 90. The value of his work has grown since he died. He was a good man and friend to those who knew him. He lived in one room. He designed his own furniture. His life was well lived. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net