Friday, February 27, 2015

Logical Mr. Spock

Leonard Nimoy at 81
I have been a true Trekkie for 50 years. I was so devoted to the early series that it took me a while to get into the next generation. Spock's character so wonderfully developed by Leonard Nimoy is  in my mind as a real character like Sherlock Holmes. I always thought that Leonard Nimoy would've been a brilliant Sherlock Holmes. Some characters like the Klingons changed with special effects redefining their character. But with Spock, special effects could not alter the perfection that Nimoy brought to the role. All of the lines play with my mind and are part of me.
I think of Star Trek IV where Nimoy explorers using profanity. Nimoy and Shatner carry on a classic exchange in which it's decided that a Vulcan should not swear. The cast brought us in on their experience. Somewhere on the deck of the Enterprise was the audience. Actors would take a bit part just to be on the set. The original warp drive was the sound of a window air-conditioner. Think of the little screen Spock looked into was nothing like our computers. It all was in the thee minds of the writers and actors who made it work. Nimoy’s screenplays of Star Trek IV and VI were the best in the franchise. 
There are no Vulcans yet we know them. We have a Klingon Bible. Space the final frontier calls to a better path.

He lived long and prospered. Thank you Leonard for embracing Spock and having fun with it. Well done. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net