Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Have you ever been crazy with home projects? Making work enjoyable

Spencer Tracy
Put to gather my indoor recumbent exercise bike today. Took me about three hours to put it together. Bike in Texas for about a half an hour and later watched the Illini for another 30 minute drive. True to form the ride was comfortable. My trail ride I changed intensity and the game  I kept an easy pace. The ride was easy on the back. The cycle gives a good range of motion. Reminds me of my outdoor recumbent bike. The biking put me well over 10,000 steps for the day.
I know I am known for being patient with kids. When it comes to putting things together or projects at home I am actually the opposite. A few years ago I decided to change the craziness. Here are some of the ideas that have helped me.

  1. Assume because it is true, that I am no expert. (Where did I get the idea I worked for Bob Villa? in fact at times I could be a novice, unskilled, and if it is really important, hire someone to do it. If I do attempt to do it expect problems.
  2. Allow yourself time to do it. Why am I in a hurry? There is no rational reason for me being in a hurry. Relax, What can I do to make it easier?
  3. Laugh and when in doubt, laugh again.
  4. When a problem comes up if possible take a step back. Do I understand the step or procedure? Do I lack the skill needed for particular step? Can I with practice get better at it or is it something that would be better served by someone who does it for a living. If I am working with Barb, really take a step back. She can often get an angle I can't. My idea may not be working. Which I think is funny because I am doing something I never did before. The main thing is what ever my frustrations, they are not hers. Take responsilbily for my moods.
  5. Today's project I was able to do just about all of it. There was one step that took more than two hands. When Barb got home, I showed her what we needed to do and I tried to help her do what she could to help me. She looked it over and gave me a very helpful suggestion that made it kind easy. So today we score one for the good guys. 
It beats the insanity. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net