Saturday, November 4, 2017

Make progress with chronic problems - waking up and they are still there

This actually what I trying to get back to
How can we be healthier when we experience the same problems over and over? As we age we are likely to run into a problem or problems that are chronic. Unlike a movie, a book, or TV show which has a resolution; in real life, life moves on with to be continued.
If we struggle with heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, diabetes, strokes, obesity more than likely we will continue to have these problems, we hope for remission or some progress. Just observation on my part but since I am the fat-man walking, how many people obese or overweight actually return to a healthy BMI. I think very few. Easy to move from one strategy to another, but harder to actually be successful. Progress might be more encouraging. For example moving from obese to over weight.
Now me, I am working on that first step after all these years. I notice as we get older we do tend to put on weight. Add to this the weight put on is more fat while muscle is being lost.
I don't want to be negative because if you are like me you want to live as we get older and do positive stuff, like enjoy God's gifts in creation, friends, family in shelter that keeps us warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Living and celebrating our days meets enough challenges with accidents or temporary illnesses. As we age we may also have to bugger on when we deal with problems that are chronic.
Not a fitness model
Ha!
I have a list of chronic problems but I won't list them here. I will bring up one problem I have but, I know I am not alone. Due to aging, falling with CP, injuries pursuing the sports and activities I have loved the joints, bones, tendons are either wearing out or hurting. The reality I have discovered is that these aches and pains do change your life. In my late teens I loved boxing, handball, basketball at the Y, softball and an occasional football game. I picked up tennis and loved to play when it was the hottest. I was a hacker but I did play on two college teams. If I played at the Y today, I hear the games are still brutal; I would take 2years-to the grave to recover.
My theme here is to live, so I bike and move around, shadowbox. To still push back a little and exercise for stamina, strength and flexibility, In so doing I include movement to help my balance which has worsened in the last few years. These activities keep the door open to move about in nature, camping, fishing, swimming, snorkeling, be out with Barb in gardening, enjoy grandkids.
How can I stay independent and do things around the home, care for self if I don't? I really believe I would go down hill pretty fast. I want to live and not be so impaired health breaks down. Life on earth is brief enough, I don't want to speed it along.
Look into the science of strength training for seniors, it is worth doing. Spending part of day exercising, doing physical activities has great benefits as we get older. Progress not perfection Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net