Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Enjoying my view of JT

The section of Joliet Central High School in the photo was built in 1901, probably construction began in 1900. The halls in this section and stairs are marble. Also here was the first Junior College. The benches in view are great to do push ups from. I am up to 25. I think it is to bad that they did not make the college a four year school. The number of college graduates in the town would have made a difference. We need a public college in our city.

Beautiful berries this time of year
Ju-co moved out but I think of the thousands of students like myself who walked these halls. To be sure it is a different school than when I was there. Freedom of thought and life was fuller back then. Kids would have filled this area I am sitting alone at on good days. I like the solitude, but this area really shouldn't be for me but for the kids. I was a student here back in the late sixties and we were debating Viet Nam and racism and the usual teen conflicts. Ideas were more assertive and less controlled by adults. I can't say it was the good old days but it was lively. There was no busing so most of us walked to and from school and on the walks the kids I walked with it was just us. No parents or bus drivers. We live in our own times and we can't go back but I wish kids today had our freedom.
In the years ahead younger leaders will have to look at the effects on loss of freedom and more social control and what it does to the young minds. Today everything is filtered and the conformity is stifling. I don't know if you remember bull sessions, but they were great.
Growing up in any era has its' problems but I miss education that wasn't geared for a standardize test. Colleges are a mill today and what happened to a  good book. Most books seem to be sermons today. I know must be sounding like an old man walking and not just fat. Education is a gift and more of an art than we think. Somewhere in hall like here it is still going on. Herman Horne in "The Teaching Techniques of Jesus" pointed out the student was a big part of the ciriculum. It is an old book but it is a great book. Google it, there are online editions.
Rain is in the forcast so I am glad to take a lunch with such a great view. This old building has given me a lot of steps. In it are kids who are worth the effort. Someday I will be feeble and they will care for me, unless somebody gets the idea we don't need the feeble. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net