Wednesday, October 10, 2012

As we age how does our faith change?

Rick and Elaine #96
Last nght I read I very stimulating blog by Mart Dehann. http://beenthinking.org/
As we age how does our faith change? Do we get discouraged and doubt? Or do we become more sure of things? I read an article a few weeks back that reports 1/4 of seniors at 65 suffer from depression.
(Share your walk)
I know in my day I start out fresh and move pretty good, but by the evening my Cerebral Palsy firing all day I am a little wore out. Do we do a similar thing as we age?
On the other had many like Paul are optimistic in their faith. Paul writes, NASB 4:16 "Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day." I  do think if we follow Paul's advise in Philippians NASB 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things." If we fill our minds with things that build our faith and life, we give our selves an edge as we age.
I think it is safe to say we can't control everything as we age.
Putting our hands in the One who stilled the
water
We may have changes, but we have a big God. I will use myself as an example.  I can tell you I have heard foul language most of my life. It is all up there in my head. I have chosen not to use foul language, but as I age will I lose the ability to control my thoughts? I think it is possible. I may swear constantly. Somebody who never knew me may conclude I have always been that way. Now God has always known me. He knows what is in my brain to begin with. Just thinking about swearing, has its problems. He has forgiven me and loved me through it all. That doesn't stop if I go senile.
I was in my 20's and I was taking care of aged people who had emotional breakdowns. I remember one fellow who socked me in the nose. It was a good hit. I was glad I showed kindness. I remember many were afraid. There were nights where I would sit with them until they went to sleep. We have gotten better in helping the aged, but I think kindness goes a long way.
I personal response to how we change spiritually as we age is to encourage myself and others to trust the Lord. Back to walking, it is good for our brains and heart. Walking helps us to have a few more positive years spiritually, the things we can't foresee or control we will leave "in the Hand of the Man from Galilee." Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net