Friday, October 19, 2012

Walking wit Kids and take in the season


Hiking with kids, I read an article by Debra Way brought back some walks I have done with kids. Helen Olsson, author of "The Down and Dirty Guide to Camping With Kids." gave the following advice.
  • Most kids can walk a half a mile for every year of their age. (I wished I would have known this better)
  • Kids may enjoy walks with elevation more than flat areas, but the walks are harder.
  • Hikes in a loop are more fun for kids that hike in than back out.
  • Walk at a slower rate and give a chance to discover things like wildflowers, birds, animals.
It has been my experience not to over do a hike distance. When Addison was six I took him on two hikes in Glacier National Park. There were kids his age that did well but it was over doing it for him. The first one was a five mile hike. He loved the first three miles, but after that is was too hard. I was short sighted on the distance. The second hike was about 2 miles and it was a lot of fun. What I remember most was seeing the trail through his eyes.
Some of my favorite walkers doing the hard part of
remodeling the upstairs. Tanya, Billy, Addison
Addison still remains my best walking buddy and we like to play different Frisbee golf courses some thirteen years later.
Spencer and my son Billy had their own adventures out west and they out did me. I learned from them, but I did take time to have supplies needed for a trek. With my kids and grand kids when we camped, they did the cooking. I was the helper. They were good cooks.
More ideas on walking with kids check out
http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/sc-health-1017-fitness-hiking-20121017,0,1938418.story
Rain is bringing down many leaves here in Illinois. Anne Cassidy in her blog A Walker in the Suburbs today wrote about the fall colors being a "Forest fire" where she is at today the sky is blue and she writes of the brilliance of the light moving through the trees. She doesn't want to let it go. Well stated on her part. It is good to enjoy the colors when we can. Thank You Lord.
The rain will bring my walking indoors today but our walks ahead will be nice with lakes and rivers being restored from the summer draught.
Take in the season where you are at. No day is the same. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net