Saturday, October 27, 2012

An African walk recalled

Walking into Timma Town, Grand Bassa, Liberia
For over 30 years I have been sharing stories of my life in Africa to kids at JT. I think some of my stories have gotten a little bigger as time has gone by. Much of the adventure of it, I owe to the Liberian people themselves. In particular my lads.
 Back in Liberia in 1977 I spent a year + working in the jungle in Liberia, West Africa. I was involved in missionary work that involved pasturing, evangelism, medical and educational work with hundreds of people. It was he greatest adventure of my life. Talk about walks, I had the privilege to walk in beautiful trails winding through the jungle. Often as I went to villages like this one and smaller ones where the sights and sounds filled my senses. Much of what I was able to do was depended on young teens who knew the ways of the jungle, local leaders and teachers who gave of their time and energy to help an all too young of a missionary for the work I was doing.
Alfred Joe
One thing I believed I did right was to take advantage of what the people of Liberia were able to give me. Barb, Elaine, Rn's and myself shared of ourselves, but I was always the student of Bassa and Pele people who invited us into their lives.
The boy in the picture if he survived the wars of Liberia Is Alfred Joe. He was 13 at the time I was there and one of the older kids in our school. I can tell you he was he best football player, (we call the game soccer.) Along with Melvin, Daniel and Moses these kids were always with me when I trekked to local villages. Sometimes adults would come if the occasion was deemed important. These boys helped me understand the heart of Africa I lived and worked in. Alfred Joe was at his best as I walked with him through the jungle. He always knew and could interpret what was ahead. Hidden dangers, safe trails, what was in the rain forest his knowledge was exceptional. Aussies use a term that describes Alfred Joe, "keen", he was in tune with life in the Liberian jungle.  When  think of enjoyable times walking I think of these boys.

The hunter lol, Alfred, Becki, Moses
If I have a regret in my life it was not getting back to my boys. I went back to the US to complete my education and then go back. Two years after I left Liberia fell into a nearly 30 year civil war. Even today, what I did in the late 70's would not be possible. Alfred and Daniel, Moses and Melvin would be 50 now. That is old in the jungle. A big thanks also to Peter and John who gave so much of their language skills.
Sometimes, driver ants flesh eating, mambas, scorpions would be in locations where people were on the mission. They would pose a danger and I was definitely not able to remove them like Crocodile Hunter. The boys would help me hunt them. I never hunted in the jungle. I fished some, but game in the jungle was not edible. Hunting around the grounds was to keep people safe. There were people who were bit by snakes an died not far from where I lived. Times when I had to destroy wild life wasn't very often, but living in a heart of a jungle you are close to danger that is real. The boys were always available to watch over Becki as she played. They were very aware of their surroundings. Becki also spent allot of time with us as we did our work. She was a trouper.
The next time you are on a nature trek, listen and learn. I was blessed with the lads. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net