Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Strength training for Seniors

Following my favorite blogs I came across a very helpful blog by Erica Howard. I have written before about how exercise can improve and extend the quality of life in our lives. She titles her blog, "Finding the Fountain of Youth". Well we know the fountain can not be found as a location but it can be experienced as we work on our flexibility, strength and aerobics. What we eat and drink helps too. She reports one thing we need as we age is muscle. One study of people average age of 78 exercised for 9 months and gained 2 lbs of muscle. Another study with 90 year olds participated in a strength program three days a week and increased strength and function 9%. Such workouts improve our functions of movement and help us with balance and falling less.
The three studies presented in article not only showed we can slow down muscle loss but that we can increase it. We won't be twenty again but I think muscle helps us move better and look better even as we age. Rounding off the curve of decline means we have more time lived better and a better chance to live the way we want, more independent. Read Erica's blog, I think you will be encouraged. Keep walking
http://todayiwill.com/2013/04/finding-the-fountain-of-youth-revisited/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net