Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Thanks Flora for the strawberries, bringing the garden inside

Strawberries from garden
Part of walking is eating healthy food and at the right portions. Putting the right food in our bodies helps our health. So far with that no big revelation. One of the things I have done right these last 5 1/2 years is each day to have five to nine portions of fruits and veggies every day. The truth is with the pain in my ankle gone and a recovery from depression I have gone back to being more mindful of what and how much I am eating. For several weeks now I take it a day at a time. I have reduced my carb portions and made sure I surrounded my plate with veggies. I m mindful again of late night eating and with the walking no surprise, I am starting to lose weight again.
I have shared these ideas before on the blog which reminds me healthy eating has to become a lifestyle. If you are like me and link food somehow to emotional eating you know it ain't easy.
I have learned new things and I think it has done me well. But like weeds in the garden, we have to weed our diet. Old habits die hard. Being healthy emotionally and free from the pinched nerve, I have the focus to do some weeding.
The beautiful strawberries come from an old friend who gave us 12 plants when she moved to start our patch. (I'll write about my friend Flora, she is 99) Over the years my yard along the fence has been claimed by the patch. This year the early warmth and in the last weeks occasional rain has produced a bumper crop. Along with the patch we have a large garden and herb garden. Growing fresh veggies is all part of a healthy life. The herbs help us trade fat for taste. These foods in our diet helps us against heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. There is no question about it, these diseases are our three enemies against a long and quality life. Remember 5 is fine 9 divine in fruits and veggies.
Gosh they are good looking and smart
Liam, Tanya, Billy
Tanya my daughter in law has been transforming our porch and yard with flowering plants. Her and I are in agreement to bring the garden indoors. I saw this in California at Robert's and Janet's home where when you look out each window there was a view to be had filled with plants and flowers. When you went outdoors there were sitting places to also give great views of the gardens he planted that blended with the mountains around them. Closer to home my friend Ken Gill has made an oasis in his back yard.   For me it was like a revelation. I don't have the mountains but my neighbor has a love for a garden and we are planting a wall of beauty between our two yards. My other neighbor knows veggie gardens, what I have learned from him has made me a gardener. A garden doesn't half to be perfect. To have shared interests with neighbors is priceless. We are all three so different. Working with Tanya will be fun. She has great ideas. Beside adding beauty and life to the yard it gives outdoor living space that adds to the quality of life. A little side benefit is steps and exercise that is good in itself. I wear a huge hat, got to protect the dome.
I read an article from the New York Times about a study that shows exercise may be bad for you. The study subjects about 10% of people who exercise have ill effects. Like all headlines, read the article. The study does not look at long term effects of exercise nor dos it take into account doctor's supervision and counsel. For people in aged or poor health it has been found brief periods of movements can be very beneficial. The other side of the study shows 90% are helped. Any way, look at the article yourself. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/30/can-exercise-be-bad-for-you/
Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net