Saturday, May 19, 2012

Walking and education

Joliet Central 1907, many times bigger today
Using the pedometer this week I have averaged over 11,000 steps a day. That is about 5 1/2 miles a day. I am walking the stairs at work and breathing very normal after a flight of stairs. My ankle feels good later at night as long as I walk with the insert. On the steps there is even a bounce to my step.
Some thoughts on walking and working in a high school...
Walking is an activity that improves our quality of life. I read an article years ago where the average teacher walks a mile and 1/2 a day. That would put teachers in the category of being sedimentary. In my job I travel from class to class. It is easy for me to walk at JT, the school is huge. This year I have tried to find little ways to move in the classroom. I would rather sit than stand, but I like moving in the class to help the kids. Their problems are why I am there. If they had no problems I would have no job. All these steps add up. If you work in classrooms find ways to move. For me I walk 3 + miles at work. Being involved with kids helps my health.
In Africa I taught and was a principal - My rule you could
wear shorts. Not a bad rule for 94 degrees
I said my good byes to seniors I have worked with. It has been my good fortune to work with these kids when they were freshman and four years later as seniors. To see how they have matured and have become young men and women floors me. They have earned good grades and have taken on some challenging classes. They have exceeded my expectations and in the process have taught an old guy some new things. I know we often think teens know everything, but sometimes an old guy like me is set in his ways. Most of the teachers I work with now are the age of my own kids. I feed off their energy and hard work. It is actually pretty cool. Don't write off our young people, when you get to know them they are a decent lot.  Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net