Friday, May 25, 2012

Ordinary got you down

Dig deeper in Prov. 31:10-31 - A homemaker is an challenging
occupation these days. Even in the workplace moms often have
unchallengeing jobs.
Wayne Styles in his blog poses a good concern, "Making it through  an ordinary day." By ordinary the problem can be boring, routine, same old thing. If I dig a little deeper, it has to mean my work is over looked or I am undervalued, taken for granted. Wayne makes a valid point that it is from the daily routine that comes surprising opportunities. He cites David who had exciting adventures as a shepherd in protecting his sheep from wild animals but he was on a family errand when he confronted Goliath when nobody else was willing. Those earlier experience gave David confidence he could defeat the giant. If we are faithful in doing the little things of life we will be prepared to go greater things. In my daily walks and workouts I will be able to continue to live well as I age. Opportunities to go on outings or hikes will remain a possibility for years to come.
But what if ordinary is unchallenging or unrewarded. That is what I see in the photo he used on the blog. How many moms feel unappreciated? How many people are in dead in jobs with routines and expectations are low? No matter where we live this is the stuff that wears us down. Many routines are good and part of us don't have to think or fret about. But all of us want to have work and life where we are esteemed and what we do helps us and those we serve. In one blog or many blogs I want to tell you I am working these things out in my own life.
This year I have quit beating myself up about my job. I help kids and teachers and I have benefits and a paycheck. Not bad in a time of economic uncertainties. I have looked at each day as an opportunity to improve the learning environment with my talents and effort.  I will this summer look at training to become certified to run groups and help people with therapy. How ever far I get I will be able to do pastoral work and I can do these things in my retirement years. What am I doing now and how does it help me and my family? What value is it for others? And is there changes I can do to improve my lot? What I can not change can I come to terms with it?
We all been there
Work by its very nature provides a living and helps others. If my option are to come to terms with it; what can I do to change my attitude or expect to be treated with respect. If I have to make changes, what can I do each day to implement those changes? What help can I get for support? Can I hang in there long enough? Tough things to work through. These things aren't answers per say but things to work through, you are worth it.
At 55 I realized I needed to make changes for my health. I learned it would take weeks of walking before I would start to see a change. Some changes like better blood work, cholesterol, weight, artery health, would take months. Making the 3/4 plate my portion could take 5 months to make a new habit. I stayed at the walks and diet changes and things began to change. Two years ago I had some set backs and worked through them and I am back on track. Was it worth it? Absolutely! I am alive and I am looking forward to what is ahead. Today I cut my grass and everything about the chore was better. Aerobically I was in good shape for the task. Later today I will take an indoor walk. I am already at 8,000 steps. I haven't even told you today is my jello day for tomorrow will be my colostomy. Tomorrow I am giving my self a free pass. After the test I will eat very light and take it easy. I will do the same Sunday. Monday it will be back to walking. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net