Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pedometers work, Walkers smile for free

Sitting having lunch the flowers were beautiful
I have had a chance to check my normal walks at work. I am blessed to work at a big high school. (By the way I really do like working with the kids and staff there, In 30 years the place is like my second home.) In my normal duties I get a chance to walk the campus. It was built with limestone to look like a castle. The new parts of the building have been built with a facade to match the theme. May is a great month to eat outdoors. For two days I tracked my steps and I average over 6000 steps a day. Walking after work with Barb and I easily get to 10,000 + a day. Today I walked over 12,000 steps. Find ways to move and the steps add up. Pedometers work.
My insert works as well. Walking those steps at work with no discomfort still blows my mind.
Today on our walk we saw a blue bird fly from the field to high in the tree in front of us. We watched for awhile and the bird flew back into the field. We believe it was a Eastern bluebird female. We heard a cardinal calling in the area we have spotted orioles in the past. This year it looks like the cardinals won the area. The Canadian geese are protecting their areas and in the middle of the pond we saw a loon. Walking it is fun to identify birds by their call. We heard the bluebird first before we spotted the bird. Birds of color are harder to spot than you would think. The sun light helps them to blend into the grasslands reflecting light. All this activity adds to the walk. Sirens sound off you can hear the family of foxes in the middle of the grass lands.
Two pair of geese, I never tire of this view
Today there were several older gents walking. On warm days there are the fitness people jogging, and older people walking. If you walk on a regular basis you can manage the weather. When it gets hot the walkers will come early or later. Barb and I will actually have water with us as we walk. I love my big sun hat. Simple joys and inexpensive clothes where comfort rules.
All in all I enjoyed the day. I worked with the kids but I had fun doing it. I could be tough and demanding, but I have found I get more from them if I am relaxed and easy going. The guidelines  of respect and working in an teaching environment I am all for. But the way I figure it why not smile as I do it. It may be the only smile a kid sees that day. I gave it for free. Walkers or runners it is hands down, walkers smile.
Work ain't easy...It is easy to get our minds wrapped about toxic people or ideas and ruin our pleasure at work. It is easy to spend the day with this spin or that. This year I let all that go and focused on the moment in the class. What can I do to help someone else? This year there is always someone or something I can do that helps bring about a better teaching enviroment or relationship. There are skills to be experienced and most behaviors melt away. You got a job, what is it about that job do you love? What is it that helps others? Much of that may be what it gives to your family and home. Finding pleasure in work is a big thing. There will be bad days, (it can't just be me)  but tomorrow...Keep walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net