Friday, February 1, 2013

It really is what is on the inside that counts

Y
Sometimes you have a face only your mother could  love
I have noticed as time goes by our faces can take a beating. In the camel world this is probably a handsome girl or boy; I can't tell the difference. Many age beautifully and other of us get a few more bumps, lines and other character features. I remember a John Wayne movie when he was told his face had a lot of character. It wasn't the line he expected, but it endeared  him to his audience. The one thing that helps our face is kindness or honesty, a smile or wink. Something from the inside that somehow makes it to the surface and somehow makes us beautiful.

Now being born a Reeves we have a way of showing a natural meanness. On the other hand there can be a great smile. A few years ago kids thought I looked like Dick Chaney. It wasn't they answer I expected, but I guess all of us old bald white guys look alike to inner city kids. My democrat co-workers got a kick out of it. If I went on the outside like Hemingway one might get discouraged. But here is where I can differ, Papa had talent for writing but life, wars, philosophy all wore him down. I think it matters what we think and faith or not makes a difference. Seeing humans destroyed by war matters as well, but even that is not the final factor.
At this point let me suggest a spiritual principle that may be helpful. When one trust Jesus Christ as Savior there begins a renewal by God's Spirit that begins to transform the believer into a new character. One that is patterned after Jesus Himself. We are very much ourselves but Gal. 5:22,23 starts to take place. "Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, Galatians 5:23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.  These things are seen in our lives as well. It is true I know people who are kind or gentle who do not profess Christ and I know Christians who are mean as that old camel, but to those who allow the Spirit to work in there lives I've seen that too. I hope this insight helps you to be beautiful on the inside as we move along. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net