Saturday, February 23, 2013

Learn to love and be loved

Thank you Nancy 
Walking in a fresh snow, how cool is that. I am glad Nancy shared her photo. Today I was involved in therapy and later our car decided not to run. The nice part is my grandson came to the rescue and it was nice riding back with him as our car was towed. With Addison comes laughter, he always brightens our day.
I got a cheerful text from my friend Ken as he was at the ocean in Southern California, I always text or call him when I am at a beach in Florida, California, or Hawaii. We still think it is cool to experience the ocean.
I was looking at myths or core beliefs that need to be challenged. One myth says, "I should always sacrifice my needs for the the needs of others." It is the kind of statement people think comes from the Bible. Look at Philippians 2:3, 4.  Philippians 2:3-4 Do nothing according to selfish ambition or according to empty conceit, but in humility considering one another better than yourselves, each of you not looking out for your own interests, but also each of you for the interests of others." People can be pretty selfish but we do look after our own interests. Taking care of ourselves is important, but we are more than ourselves, we grow to care for others. The myth is ignoring our needs and will lead to burnout or worse. The reality from the Bible indicates a balanced life able to love others. We nourish ourselves with God's care and provisions much like Addison did for us today when Barb and I needed help. We will have opportunities to share our care for him, but isn't it great when our grandchildren return our love. Seems pretty practical to me. We may be inclined in our pride not to let our children or grand children care for us a little bit. But that pride is a little selfish in not letting our family grow in their love as they learn to give. Well we will keep walking to live and love. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net