Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Remembering Harv Russell

Harv Russell
The last couple of days I have been thinking about Harv Russell. I have know Harv about 40 years. I remember walking on Herkimer Str. I probably was walking to a friends house. I looked in the front window and their were kids playing table tennis or ping pong. There were kids in the background and a sign in the front, the Christin Youth Center. I was led to the Lord by a track a Navigator from Michigan State put into my pocket. Three weeks later I trusted the Lord and I remembered what that fella told me, "If you trust Christ seek Christian fellowship." It was a month or two later  and walking by I went inside to see what it was all about. The CYC kids were friendly and normal and I loved Ping pong. The speaker that night was this old guy (to me) he was my father's age. He spoke simply and from the Bible. I always liked that about Harv. He talked about the big things and important things with a big smile and he look you right in the eye.
For a few years the CYC was a big part of my life. I think that is why so many people loved Harv. He was there in those years you need somebody to be there. When ever I talked to Harv in private he always gave me something to think about. Harv would give you room to think about it.
That's the smile I remember
Through the years we would talk once and a while. Harv gave me a compliment sometime back and it is one of those things I have kept close. Harv knew the kids the he worked with and loved them.
My dad was a navy man and so was Harv. I liked that. Harv lived life to fullest. He lived his life in Joliet. He was a steady witness in a hard place. How God used him, we all saw it. He showed us you can live for Christ anywhere. There are people from the CYC all over the world, making a difference for Christ. Harv with a wink knew he was part of all that.
Harv never retired. We used to see each other on the walking trails. Remember Harv walking those 20 mile walks. He used to train for those a bit. He would be walking for health in his 80's. The last time I saw him he was sitting down looking out over the pond. He looked tired. When he saw me he grinned and we talked in person for the last time. Harv finnished well and he had eternity on his mind. Thoughts he asked his son to share.
Would this little guy reach thousands?
" Now the day is over - night is drawing nigh,
 Shadows of the evening - stem across the sky
 Jesus gives the weary - calm and sweet repose,
 with the tenderest blessing - may my eyelids close,
 Through the long night watches - may thine angels spread,
 their white wings all about me - watching 'round my bed
 When the morning wakens, then may I arise
 Fine + Fresh + Sinless in thy Holy eyes.

 Come on now - "Heaven Ain't so Bad"!
 
Thanks for being there. and hey, it mattered how you walked with us. He ended every talk with this quote, "Remember, "God's Word will keep you from sin, or sin will keep you from God's Word"
Here is a cool link about Harv. keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net