Thursday, September 27, 2012

Lets talk about how many steps we need

I can't do what these woodsman are doing, but I would love
to go to the forest here, it is on my bucket list
What is too sedimentary? Dr Ken Cooper informs us a day without activity is like smoking a pack of cigarettes. Ikes!
How many steps do you get in a day?
3,000 and under many consider sedimentary
5,000 still low but better, for many seniors this could be wonderful. I have read studies that inform us brief walks for older people could be very beneficial.
5,000-7,000  low active, but great for a sedimentary person
7,000- 10,000 active - when a non walker is doing this, lots of benifits
10,000-12,000 active and loosing weight, if you don't over eat (home run)
12,000+ very active
 In counting steps use a pedometer and a step conversion chart on activities you do.
What if you are to low? As with all of us, we need a medical check-up to see where we are at. Are there medical reasons or a non moving life style? What can be done to gradually move from little activity to 5,000 to 7,000 steps? If you medically can't walk I am all for a mobility aid of a chair or scooter. I believe it could add to quality of life.  If you can move then gradually increase your steps. Walk from the living room to the kitchen on commercial breaks. Walk from bed or chair to the furthest bathroom.  At a walking trail walk from bench to bench. Walk a block in front of the house. Next week turn the corner and each week add a house to the length of you walk. Park and walk to the store. Next week park further back a few spaces. Think it through with your doctor and in no time you will find walking to be fun and safe again.

Fascinating
Consider web sites like Real Age, American Heart Association, National Institute of Aging, In Home Walking, Mayo, for good ideas on walking.
Today with a cool breeze was ideal for a 40 minute walk. Barb and I used the benches for push ups and squats. My pedometer right now reads 10800 steps. We saw an senior using dumbbells at one of the benches. It would be easier to carry a resistant band, but he had the right idea. It is easy to turn a walk into a total body workout.
Ahead of us on our walk, Barb thought she saw a humming bird, I guessed a grasshopper, I kept my eye on the creature and followed it into the bush. It took me a while to spot it, but it was a stick bug. Once spotted it was easy to observe. Of course it would be a day I decided not to bring my camera. Here is what I thought I saw. Check out my pages for good support on walking and exercise.
These are beautiful days and enjoy the colors of the season. Keep walking

1 comment:

  1. Steps per day - yep, more is always better :)

    I have no idea how many I do in a day though, maybe I'll get a pedometer.

    ReplyDelete

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net