Saturday, September 22, 2012

Life can be "against the tide and wind", I know a little about that


Lake Michigan near Zion

Reading A Walker in the Suburbs by Anne Cassidy got me thinking...
Anne has a nice blog and being the very good writer she is, she writes with a small brush. I like reading how she puts thoughts together. Now me on the other hand, I feel like I am not using a brush at all, but one of those pencils you used as a kid that looked like a tree. Do you remember the writing paper we had, it had wood chips in it. You had to write around them. Bill Cosby shared the experience of a first grader some 40 + years ago in one of records. Our little hands trying to
 
handle the beast.
Anne walked on the beach after reading Anne Morrow Lindbergh book called *Against Wind and Tide
Lindbergh quotes a nineteenth-century writer who says that a woman writer is "rowing against wind and tide"
Some people can go with the flow
The beach is a perfect place to feel that book, especially if it cool enough for a sweater. What a perfect place for a walk. Please don't wear ear phones. Take in the sounds and waves. I think everybody should walk a beach off season. Wear layers of clothing to fit the experience. I recall walking Lake Michigan and Florida in the winter. Two very different experiences but I was dressed for it. Life can be at times "against the tide and wind." Anne's reading is of an experience of a woman trying to live in a man's world. As a father and husband I would hope my activities encourage the girls in my life to be strong and able.  The thought that I may hold them back gives me pause. But life at times is "against the wind and tide".
All of us need a lighthouse from time to time
I just wished I didn't need one so often
Went to Tara's wedding tonight. It was fun being with family. I think I gave everybody a scare on the dance floor. My shoes stuck on the floor and I kept going. I have to say it is a little scary when CP's loss of balance takes over. Stubborn as I am it took two falls. I am going to have to take time to figure on aging and CP. Finding the balance between enjoying the things I have always done and newer boundaries I will have to follow. A few bumps but  am OK. The hardest thing for me is the embarrassment of it. If you have a handicap you know all about life being "against the tide and wind." But maybe  as we get older more of us can identify with the struggles of those with disabilities. Barb and I are more aware of the "fall" and things don't always work the way we want. It is why walking makes a lot of sense. Moving keeps us strong enough to face most tides and winds of life.
Back to the joys of a wedding, I had fun watching the wedding party enjoy themselves, I had a few laughs, and I get a kick out of everybody including Barb and I in their lives. Means more to me all the time. I love my family.
Tomorrow I will be off for a long walk and the next time I go dancing, better shoes and work just  little slower into the dance. Maybe stay with the slow tunes. I have observed old guys dance with the feet not moving, maybe I better follow suit.  Life may at times be "against the wind and tide", but take note of those who lend an orr or breeze of encouragement. After a fall like tonight walking heps heal.  Keep walking
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net