Monday, February 21, 2011

Drizzle no problem - Jefferson got it right

Weather today was cold and wet, when I went out to the park to jog it was at the time a light drizzle. As a kid I was out in the weather all the time. On the trail there was only one other person I saw. The sensation of the wind and rain on my face and the experience of being by myself was nice. Barb being wiser thought better to do a little shopping. Ran or jogged or slogged 2 miles today. Gave the arteries a nice workout.
Stealing a quote from a friend that Thomas Jefferson made on exercise, nearly 200 years ago, "Exercise and application produce order in our affairs, health of the body, cheerfulness of mind, and these make us precious to our friends." Sounds like a guy who sat around a lot, but maybe not. His one time close friend and ally later turned adversary John Adams was quite the walker. He was noted for taking long walks and liked to really work on his farm. Both lived long lives and died on the same day, July 4, 1826, fifty years after the signing of the declaration of independence. Adams was in his 90's when he died.
Back to the Jefferson quote, it seems accurate to what we have found out about the benefits of exercise. Helps all areas of health, there is an mood effect to aerobic exercise the runner's high that you can get with a brisk walk and with a lifted mood you can be a blessing to friends. As to produce order in our affairs I am working on that. I do know it gives more energy for day to day activities. Check out Cooper Aerobics for the science of above remarks.
Two guys from my Walk with Jesus studies have lost 70 and 100 lbs. One did it with the aid of Weight Watchers and the other through moderation and walking allot. Looking at their progress I am glad to play a small part, but it is time for me to step up and follow their lead. I've got the 3/4 plate down and no seconds, but it is time to declare war on my late night snacking. I am weak here and have the will power of a marsh mellow but it is time to act. Keep walking!
With my run and fitness workout I reached 10,000 + steps. Use a step converter and be encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net