Sunday, May 19, 2013

There is hope to move from disfunctional to functional.


A therapist in a group I attended said "80% of the homes in the US are dysfunctional." She also shared areas in her life that was dysfunctional. One of the questions I have always had is how in the heck can I become functional. Anxiety and insomnia can reap havoc on one's mental health. So in the past 7 years or so I have learned and experienced things that has got me back to sleep and some what more able to control my anxiety. Here is what has helped:
Walking
Eating healthier
Anti depressants and anxiety medicines
Change in sleeping pills
Cognitive therapy to cope with anxiety and depressing thinking
Strategies of relaxing
Strategies of distractions at the time of going to sleep (music, prayer, reading, photos
Judy and Scott have been friends for a lifetime,
their picture reminds me people smile with me.
of friends,)
family's love and support
God has been their through it all. Both the anxiety and depression was rooted in changes in my brain as I have gotten older. Previous abuse and how it effected me played out as well.
Thankful for the medical and therapeutic intervention. But over the years there has been another factor at work in my life. God is in the business of helping dysfunctional people become functional. I wrote a note about it, that you may find helpful.
Here is a note I wrote as I studied John 14:21

Reeves  - "we have always had sinful people, today there are dysfunctional people who have difficulty loving. We have the ability to love because God gives us that ability.1) As believers God makes love possible because He always loves us through the ups and downs. His unconditional love is both a standard and a model. 2) God gives us the power to love through the Holy Spirit. What was difficult on our own has now been made possible by His Spirit. 3) Whatever principle or plan we have been going by is now replaced by His revealed will. As we learn it and obey it in the power of the Spirit; we are transformed to be like Jesus and most of all we will be able to love. This is a growing experience and no two are alike. God knows how to make sinners - saints and dysfunctional - functional. By the way that is what the Book of Romans is all about.

My testimony – I was a fighter and a bit of a hot head. My temper made me very unpredictable. Over the years I have become more gentle and controlled. Where it counts has been seen in my home. I still like using a punching bag but I like more who I have become. It has taken awhile, some 44 years and I am still changing." (1 John 4:19; 1 John 3:1; Gal. 5:16; Gal. 2:20; Eph. 2:1-10;4:17-24)
Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net