Monday, May 13, 2013

Happy Mother's Day, Mom

Mom
I was watching "On Golden Pond" with teens the other day. They wanted to know why we were watching this old movie. When I think of an old movie I think of "Bringing up Baby" a 1937 movie with Hepburn and Grant. All a matter of perspective.
One of the kids said with the approval of the whole room, "I don't never want to get old" he had been watching "Norman" the old poop, complain of aging. I responded after concidering his observation, "none of us plan to get old. It just happens."
He told me, "You ain't old mister."
I thought about being 61 and that I was closer to Henry Fonda in the film than I was to the group of teens in the room.
Many have told me when they get aged how hard it is to be old. Nothing works right. Katherine Hepburn herself wrote about how difficult is was to get old. Kate faced age with courage and grit and lived well into her 90's.
Pictured in the blog is my mother. One one of my visits she let me take a picture of her. She always did, but she said something I obviously never forgot.
"Why is it when I am old everybody wants a picture of me?" Painfully when she was younger we were separated from each other. Kids, take a lot of pictures of your parents when they are young. You will love them later.

 
So thinking of Mother's day I enjoy looking at my beautiful mother. She was quick witted and  full of fun. As an adult I had many visits with her and our conversations were priceless to me. She really took to Barb and Barb was always very relaxed and comfortable with my mother. By the way mom never sided with me about anything concerning Barb. It was probably right that I was wrong, but how wise she was.
I was never the best on the phone as I was in person. My only regret would be to have visited her more. I am glad I did visit her over the years.
You will see a lot of flowers on the blog, a gift to me from my mother, keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net