Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Thumbs up on feeling good

I came across an interesting article on Assisted Living from the New York Times. I know we walk to maintain our independence, but things happen in life. Can we improve the quality of life in such places? You betsha! Read this interesting perspective.

 
Spring is coming
I have heard this line before and it may be in part of a true story. Dr. Ken Cooper talked of a 80+ woman who walked 5 miles a day. Her daughter said she started walking and still is.
"My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 now, and we don't know where the heck she is." - Ellen DeGeres
Spring is almost here, I have been moving 20-30 minutes on exercise bike for a week now. Knees are healing. Working on flexibility and ice my knees after workout.
I am also one day from discharge from my rehab program concerning post traumatic stress and anxiety attacks that increase insomnia. I am back to sleeping pretty good at night and will return to work this Friday. A big thanks to the staff at Linden Oaks in Plainfield and those fellow travelers in group. All of you were helpful and supportive. I wished all could have access to mental health care similar to how we go to the dentist and GP for our check ups. I really think it should be that normal. What do you think?
Walking is really good at helping stress. It is also good for the creative mind. I am aware of Hemingway battle with depression that took his life, but here is a quote on walking and the writing process.
“I would walk along the quais when I had finished work or when I was trying to think something out. It was easier to think if I was walking and doing something or seeing people doing something that they understood.”
― Ernest Hemingway, A Moveable Feast
Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net