Sunday, March 17, 2013

fatman at the movies, continued appreciation for our 16th President

Went to the movies and saw "Lincoln". What a deal to see this great film at the local dollar theater. Day-Lewis' portrayal I thought brought out his humor and dynamic thought. What a mind old Abe must have had! It is interesting to me, we have here a great president, we most likely would not have elected. The focus on the fight for the 13th amendment gave a nice study for the film. The film for me deepened my respect for the struggle we have for human equality. I have grown tired of so many who have judged Lincoln of falling short of our own sense of enlightenment without realizing how amazing the struggle really was. Lincoln's White House seems so different from our modern White House. I thought the film gave a great sense of that day. One wonders with more security what his end of term and life would have been. He aged so in the last year of his real life. Some time ago I read a book sharing Lincoln's own words about faith, Abraham Lincoln: The Man & His Faith  G. Frederick Owen, 1981; an encouraging read.
Years ago I fell in love with the Sunday Comics, it seems Abe did too as he and the boys escaped Mary's moods by going to the law office and reading the funnies of that day. I will be looking for a read on his antidotes and stories from his own words. He gets my vote. keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net