Sunday, March 10, 2013

Both Sides Now viewing Mental Illness

Joni Michelle wrote the song Both Sides Now back in my teen years about seeing life om up and down. her song is symbolic as she travels by planes and sees life from above and below. Other writers may have used mountain top experiences and valleys to explore similar feelings.
For me I have been on both sides of mental illness, caring for people and being cared for. patient, client, victim to be are impersonal and are used for objectivity and are impersonal. They tend to separate the caregiver from those who need care with a level of superiority. We made need these terms, but I would prefer here to use people, person, and human. It is human to be sick, ill, have a disease, to age and eventually pass away. It is human to have brain and nerve issues that involve any number parts of our lives. In fact our brain being the most complicated part of our body I suspect many more of us have our problems.
Behavior crosses into law, theology, philosophy, and science so having difficulties would bring out a multiple interpretation of anyone of us who suffers. Because mental health is so unpredictable we are definitely scared of it. Labels of mental illness, insane, demonic, twisted, evil, weird, strange, eccentric all picture something we would not want or admit too. There is a risk in admitting to mental illness. So I bravely step forward to say, I am dealing with mental illness. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder which has produced panic attacks I would wish for no one, Insomnia and depression have visited my world.
I take medication and use a number of strategies to cope. I am definitely better for taking treatment and managing my care. It doesn't surprise me, but I am still me. A person who can care for others and above all remains completely human. Most people who suffer with mental illness are trying to cope and be a part of life. They are people in our lives and human with the ability to be a part of life. There are those who are criminal and violent and make choices that are harmful but the majority are like those fighting cancer, heart disease and diabetes.
Someone seeks help don't treat them as less human. Support them and encourage them on the courageous decision to seek help. It isn't with out risk, but it is a better way to deal with an illness that is just as real as any other in our bodies that wear down with time. Above all keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net