Friday, March 18, 2011

He lived the walk Remembering Gordan Huber

Had a good walk this morning, was over 10,000 steps at works in. Planning to work out tonight. Sometimes you get noticed. I heard a younger co-worker behind me, "You're getting skinnier," It is nice to be noticed, sort of puts a hitch in your step. I am still on the attack snack diet. For those who may wonder what I mean, I am not eating deserts or snacks and I am just eating my meals, which are portioned to get the nutrients I need with out the excess calories. Sunday is my weigh in.
This week a friends father passed at the age of 90. He was quite a man. Lately I have been thinking of fathers who have been abusive and the awful affects they have on their families. It makes me sad and mad on one hand and on the other it supports my overall view to be gentle and kind in dealing with kids. Which brings me back to Gordon Huber. Out of all the friends dads I have known, he stands out as a "jewel of a man". He always made you feel welcomed to his home and if my friend Mark wasn't home I was always made comfortable to stay awhile. He would look straight into eyes with this bigger than life smile and be totally interested in what ever you had on your mind. In our conversations, he always expanded my thinking and challenge me when I needed and always saw something good in what I was thinking.
He was logical and his wife wasn't but he loved her and if they differed he often would say, "Ellen you may right" as he scratched his head. I have never seen two people so different yet love each other. She on the other hand would laugh and tell Gordon "I don't know what you are saying but you must be right." then they both would laugh. Listening to them both I had no idea what they understood but I would laugh with them.
Gordon was a captain in WW2 and he fought in the pacific. When we won the war in Europe he helped find the dead who were lost and sent them home to their families. He did research and found his own brother buried in his crashed plane buried in a farmer's field and personally took his brother home.
Gordon used his skills to advance the cause of Christ and help people. He was an active man and exercised all of his life. He would bike on a stationary bike and rid 5 miles up to six months of his death when his health declined after a fall and injury to the head. He walked the Life. Thank you Gordon for being such a mentor to me. I can never repay the debt. keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net