Friday, August 31, 2012

People who need people are the luckiest people

Women have the edge here
One of the keys to longevity is having a social network. Women are better at being connected then men. I read this week from Therese Borchard associate editor of Psychcentral.com that 1/4 of people 65 and older suffer from depression. 20% of suicides happen by seniors and many of them men. You can read the article at
 
Having friends is something we should keep working on. Gentlemen we have more problems with this than the ladies. I haven't figured it out yet, but I am not what you would call a big social attraction. Mr. James Faust (an army Sargent) told me years ago "if you want alot of people around keep the fridge filled with beer. If you want to find out who your friends are get rid of the beer." Loneliness and isolation factors in our brain function as well. One of the things I have been working on is to improve my contacts with people. For me it is a work in progress.  
The Internet and technology give us tools to keep us in the game of life. Sharing notes and pictures, using mobile phones and even video phones can help bring us into the lives of others. I was talking to my friend Jim using the video camera on our computers and it was cool. Having a cell phone keeps me connected as well.
(From the net) When I get permission I will share a beautiful
sunset. I always like to get permission first
Last night I viewed pictures of a friend's safari in East Africa, another friend was in the Philippines for a few weeks. Several friends shared their summer travels. Seeing daily life on the net from people who are friends but moves and life naturally we lose contact is an exciting thing about e-base communication. Having friends we can talk, walk, eat with it has to keep going as well. Calling a friend to see a movie or a sporting event, means alot to me. Being accepted in a local church can be a good connection. Along the way we live longer.
Today I have had five hits from Mongolia. Somebody there has visited before. The hundreds of visits to the blog from around the world. I believe getting older and using walking as one of our tools to improve our health goes beyond national borders and reaches an universal chord. It was cloudy tonight, but the blue moon peak out a few minutes ago.
I got good report from my GP this week. My cholesterol was 134 with good numbers on my good and bad cholesterol. My good cholesterol improved. All my numbers were good. Walking works. Keep walking 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net