Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Para-olympics in London are bigger than the game

It has been questioned, has he been given an advantage?
There are many of you who know me, but for those who don't forgive this little trip down memory lane.
From 1st grade when a mob of kids actually stoned me with small rocks for being different, I walked funny, still do. I have cerebral palsy. I wanted to become strong and be a good fighter. Playing sports was more important to me than school and I have the low marks to prove it.
In high school I lettered in three sports, football, wrestling, and track. I made the teams I think in part because we had so few players for practice. I played in games and competitions and as a result I was stronger and a scrapper.
How I got to college is a story in itself. In college I played on two tennis teams, thanks to friends in high school who played tennis and in the summer I played with them. I traveled with the teams and on the second one, I started. For about ten years I coached high school tennis teams and several of them had good teams. When I competed I was fiery and not pleasant.
The runner in the Olympics it was debated whether he was given a unfair advantage. In the finals he was well back of the leaders. The real story was he competed at the highest level. For a disabled athlete there is no better feeling than competing against athletes who are normal. I can tell you this from experience. Athletes have used drugs to get an edge, but those drugs have been found to be harmful and even deadly and have been banned. Athletes have used new equipment and training due to better technology that have changed the games we play. In tennis for example, new court material and rackets have changed the game from volley and serve with wood rackets to deep court play we see today. The speed of the game is a direct result of the change of racket. With this athlete we see he has gone from no legs to running a sprint. Will technology continue to improve his chances? I hope so.


Walking in places like this - Moving ca be fun
I am sure if it does we will see rule changes to keep the game fair, but the improvement is different from steroids. There will be thousands of kids and adults who will benefit from the applications. More people will be able to contribute to life more independently and enjoy life that has given them extra challenges. Wheel chairs that can move better, limbs that can work to help people work and play. Therapy that increases function and reduces pain. The game and science applied can help many who just want to walk or run or roll in devices more independently. The para-olympics need to watched and talked about. What we are learning now, think of the possibilities in the future. These games are real competition. They have to earn a metal. If they were around in my day, I would have found a way to compete. How about bionics not for the 6 million dollar superhero, but for those to enjoy the walk through a garden again.
The special olympics has a place but I like real competion. It is possible many of those kids do to. Could these athletes take winning and losing? I am not sure.
In my life a shoe brace has given me pain free walking again. If I deteriorate maybe a bionic foot and ankle. If it keeps me walking on with the games. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net