Thursday, August 16, 2012

It hurts to get older sometimes

Today to enjoy the Gulf waters I needed Barb's assistance for balance. Once I am out deep enough to swim my body takes over. I have always been a strong swimmer. But my balance is worse. All my life I hate to be dependent on others. The reality is I can't afford to take to many falls. When I played sports, I played competivily. The only disability contest I would be interested in is one of competition where there were winners and losers. As an athlete I would not care for everybody winning. As a young man I boxed and won most bouts, but then I boxed a boxer. Losing showed me I didn't have the talent. But learning to box has help me from time to time, in my late teens I learned to play soccer and that help me share my faith to the soccer games I played. I played football, wrestling, and track. Played basketball, volley ball, hockey and the fights with it. In college I played on two college teams and later coached the sport. Now I need help navigating the waves.
Another challenge for an aging adult. I could pull away from the activity but with a little help I get the swim. Do you remember Norman on Golden Pond? He feared he would no longer be the shinny knight I'm kate's eyes.
If you CP you know getting in and out of the sea can be humility.
Now there is something to be said for the courage to do things without balance.
The positive stuff, I can still work with heavy resistance. I can fight getting older, and there lots of ways to protect my self from injury. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net