Sunday, April 22, 2012

Something Chuck Colson teaches all of us

Spring is still on

I had a good thirty minute walk workout today. After the walk I strolled back to take some pictures of flowers in bloom now. Wild flowers will come in bloom throughout the growing season. In neighborhoods flowers will bloom gardeners everywhere will share there displays for all to enjoy. Writing tonight I am almost pain free in my right ankle.

My blog I believe some of you may disagree. We may disagree with politics or actions and ideas a person has but can we see that God can forgive someone and give them a new hope and direction in life?

He did this for 39 years,
you can't fake that.
Reading the reports of Chuck Colson's death today, I think he finished well. I've been thinking about "he got religion" "He claimed to be born again". Both statements were given by the press in a skeptical tone. Most of the time in the press, these terms are used negatively. Hardball in politics is nothing new. Getting caught is the unforgivable sin. Colson was one of Nixon's bad boys. What they did was illegal, and they got caught. Colson trusts in the Lord and sets to turn his life around. I took my copy of Born Again off the shelf and copy right 1976. That was the year I got married. He was saved in 1973 and we have had a long time to see if he really did get religion or was born again. I don't know to many people referring to him as Dr. Colson but in 1959 he earned a doctorate from George Washington University. He was a Captain in the Marine Corp, but what he will be remembered before he came to Christ was his involvement in dirty politics. It proves to us all that the end doesn't justify the means and that the means matters.

I didn't agree with Colson on several points as a believer, but he did live his life after jail as a man of faith. His ideas on prison reform have merit and I have met people who lives were changed because of his prison ministries. His legal and political training didn't go away but his message was different. I think he would have benefited if he could have spent time for the Lord to teach him before he was thrust into a Christian leadership role. To his credit money earned from books and awards went into the ministry and not to himself.

These flowers were in the tall grass
The Boston Globe wrote in 1973, "If Mr. Colson can repent of his sins, there just has to be hope for everyone." There are many who dislike Colson for what he did, and his politics as a "Nixon fanatic." To the crimes of it, he went to jail. He admitted his sins. I think it is wonderful that God can forgive an unlikable person who played dirty and change their life so that they help people that have been cast off as losers. Thirty nine years we have been watching Dr. Chuck Colson, sinner forgiven. If God can forgive and change an unlikable guy like Chuck Colson then he can forgive any of us. WE have watched Chuck Colson for 39 years live for Christ. Chuck became a likable guy for millions of people. Working among the disatvantaged. He finished well don't you think. Keep walking.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net