Thursday, April 19, 2012

A look at Thomas Kinkade, gone too soon

My Favorite Kinkade painting
Thomas Kinkade passed away last week at 54 years of age. He reminds me of my favorite Uncle Bruce Criss. My uncle passed at 55 years of age. Sudden death can come way to early to good people. To me, there wasn't a nicer man than my Uncle Bruce. He always had a nice word for me. With Mr. Kinkade, I thought it was interesting the negative press he received upon his death. The art world look down on his work and that to me is too bad.
I love going to art museums and I love art. I actually love all kinds of art. But just as interesting is watching people look at art. There are many paintings that seem to have an universal appeal. Then there are paintings where people look at the art and you can see them trying to find some reason why they think it is art. "I am spending time in front of this piece and I can't figure it out, but there must be some reason why it is here in the museum and I am looking at it.. I don't want to non appreciative..." Body language tells you they think it isn't art but they are struggling to like it. The term "artsy fartsy" comes to mind. But then that may be harsh. 
Kinkade produced art that people liked to have in their homes. He actually made money. And that may have been his crime. His art appealed to people of faith and that also may be unforgivable in the art world.
Lighthouses have always fasinated me. Water
can be a hostile place, safety and salvation not
so bad.
I like the above piece and a few others. My dad was a fisherman. He actually was a very good fisherman. He never looked a nice as the man in the art piece, but he was at peace with himself when he fished. I am glad he enjoyed the sport of it and the skill of it. When he took me fishing, I would be bored with in a half hour and I would go for walks. I could be out for hours walking, observing the wild as my dad fished. He taught me how to clean and prepare fish for eating and some of the how to rubbed off. I have taken alot of kids fishing where they learned to bait their hooks, cast and land their fish. About half of them learned to take the fish off the hook. For me I could throw a line out and never real it in and just sit and enjoy the moment.
Kinkade called himself a "painter of light." I like to think my dad enjoyed many a sunrises and sunsets as he fished.
Kinkade's Rock of Ages is interesting to me as well. Kinkade's last years may have been rocky for him.  For some aging and life's stressors can over come us. I am not privy to his difficulties, but it is very possible to stumble if life becomes dark. What can we do to fight sudden death to early? For me, when my Uncle Bruce passed, I have been careful to see my doctor. I have controlled my blood pressure, I have walked into better health indicators. I have taken time to deal with mental health. Will I live to 83? I am not sure, but the changes I have made make today a good day. Mowed the grass for my walk today. When I do go to the Art museum it usually means a day where I walk 5 to 7 miles. Keep walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net