Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sticking up for the fat man

Sometimes You Can't Win.
I was exploring the net and I came across an opinion of somebody who was coming down on fat people doing a workout at a gym or doing aerobics. It was stated it is a waste of time for fat people to work out for they will just pig out anyway.

Heavy people get that way for a number of reasons. I am one of them so I will include myself. We over eat. We are too sedimentary. As we age our metabolism slows down. Genetics could be a factor. We may be trying to meet some emotional need by eating. There are lots of ideas how we got fat. At some point if you are like me you realize you need to change.

It seems to me if you lose 100 lbs. you are successful. If you lose 25, 35, 40 lbs. like me you are still in the battle.

I have seen people take off a lot of weight only to put it back on. "It ain't easy." If it was easy there would not be 60% percent of the people with weight problems.


Is this what you see when you see fat people
 exercizing? We are hard on ourselves.
For many of us we would like to be thinner because we would look better. Our bodies would work better at so many different levels. The older I get the more I embrace weight loss for how I feel and increased health benefits. Whatever the motivation weight-loss is a good idea. Most overweight people I know I have tried many ways to lose weight but was unable to keep at it. Disappointment and discouragement rules too many times. We get in an all or nothing mentality. It has to happen yesterday!

I am motivated to take up the value of moving for us who are overweight. Walking, strength training and flexibility are our allies in our fight for better health. Is it a waste of time? No! We benefit from moving. It is good to sweat. Burning calories and getting the blood to move is what we need. One right behavior will lead to other changes. I don't have all the answers, but lifestyle changes will win the day. I am working with my doctors to change a medicine that will help me lose weight. Yes I have lost 35-40 lbs., but I am ready to lose another 20 lbs. I will still be the fat man walking, but I am moving. If I lose 5 lbs., that's OK. If I lose 5 lbs. a year, that is OK. Our average is that we gain 5 lbs. a year. We don't have to lose all of it today. Hang in there all of us who are less than perfect. God loves us more than our extra pounds. If you are walking, running, working out that is so cool. You are so worth it, I can't shout it loud enough. Keep walking

2 comments:

  1. The one thing I finally figured out, it's just math. Calories consumed - calories spent. I don't know what you read, but there is so much unjustified negative out there - fugetaboutit!

    Solvitur ambulando! Go for a walk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many of my friends are overweight and discouraged. Weight-loss is a long term process. Absolutely agree with you.

    ReplyDelete

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net