Friday, February 24, 2012

Thanks Harvey about work and life


James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd in Harvey 1950
I don't really know how it happened, but I have embraced each day at work to enjoy doing what I do. There is an art to it and a skill and I see the difference everyday. A big thanks to those I work with, ...take a step back and see the wonderful things you do everyday. For those of you who are movie buffs I feel a little like Elwood P. Dowd. Rather liberating. I haven't lost my marbles...
I wrote those words on Face book yesterday, Stewart's performance was brilliant. There was a remake of the film but why? It fell flat in comparison to the earlier performance. James Stewart did Harvey first on stage. Elwood once was a driven man. Then he made friends with a 6 foot pooka. He became a kind man but given to drink and conversation. His aunt wants him to come back to the real world, but she really likes the kinder and gentler version. The movie works because it is just that a movie. The theme of becoming a likable gal or guy appeals to many of us. I worked with a man who was kind to all he met. He always made you feel better about what ever you were doing and it was easy to go the way he was going. I don't think a day goes by where his influence on me isn't felt in some way. Thanks Ken .
For years I battled how I felt about my job. In time I felt trapped and what was worse I did little to change my circumstance. I blamed others and myself for being in a place I hated yet was good at. Battling insomnia and anxiety I sunk into a depression. These things were not apparent to others except my family. It was my son who insisted I seek treatment because the great dad he knew, he wanted back. My analytical thinking became repetitive and circular.
Treating the anxiety, depression, anger and post traumatic stress lifted me to a place of mental and emotional health. I have worked hard at resolving what I could and accepting medicine to help my moods and chemical balance in my brain. In the area of work I knew I needed my job. I also knew if I am going to make changes I had to take responsibility for the changes. I chose to quit blaming others, I threw out my defeated thinking as lies and began to reconstruct a better foundation of my worth and value at my job. I refused to go to bed with negative thinking about work and at work I sought ways to be in the moment of work. What has resulted is a whole new experience for me in life. It is not just work that has changed but also at home. In my blog I have tried to be honest about these things, but I know sometimes it can be too much information.
My son and I worked out with weights. With him spotting for me I was surprised how much I was lifting. Not quite as much when I was younger but pretty good. My work outs this year have paid off. He got his old man back. That is another great theme in movies, Field of Dreams comes to mind. How many of us would love a game of catch with our dads. Why do we walk? To life! Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net