Monday, February 6, 2012

Books and Health

By the time I finished high school I believe I read 5 books, three I remember biographies of Abraham Lincoln, Robert E. Lee and Pee Wee Reese. Really what kicked off reading for me was becoming a Christian and reading the Bible and related subjects. Wilber Smith a Christian apologist and Bible scholar had a personal library of 25,000 books of all subjects. He had a photographic memory and I was told by one of his students he would quote whole pages. Mortimer Adler also a lover of books, both gave the same advise I have followed for forty years, "Read a good author, read as many books that writer has written as you can." Good writers have become my friends.

Scofield Bible given to L.S. Chafer
One of those writers is C.S. Lewis. I read at the time every book I could find. I argued with him, I sat by a night light almost in conversation with the ideas he shared. He gave great advise in reguard to ancient and classical literture. "It is always better to read the author than read what others say about that author." They write clearer and better than scholars who write thousands of pages of confusing commentary.

When I worked in the Mental hospitals as a young man, I read Freud, Adler, Fromm, behaviorists, James and hundreds of people in that field, reading their books was always more interesting than the texbooks about their work. Freud for example was brillent and I loved to argue with him. Since it is my arguement I always won. Everybody today says how wrong he was but as time moves on fewer and fewer people actually read Freud himself. Most argue from second and third hand sourses. I think Freud was wrong on some pretty important issues but I loved reading his books and arguing with his intellect.

A electronic and hard copy of over 10,000 books I have made up for time as a youth and so little reading. I think of myself as a student but you can't help but pick up a thing or two along the way. It is healthy to have friends. I have been fortunate to have hundreds at my bidding, just open the page. I have read a couple of hundred books an the Bible and health, fitness. Reading good authors and many gives balance and safety. Proverbs tells us "in the multiude of counselors there is safety." Reading good authors gives health. It is good for the brain and good ideas are discovered that help the help the body, mind, soul and spirit. Share with me books that have been your friends. I would love to hear from you. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net