Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Shelters on a walk about


Believed to be the rock he found shelter
David Branon writes in the Daily Bread on January 27, 2012, "The story is told of a young preacher named Augustus Toplady, who was taking a walk through the English countryside when a sudden storm swept across the landscape. Toplady spotted a wide rock formation with an opening—a cleft—where he sought shelter until the storm passed... While there he found a playing card where he penned the hymn "Rock of Ages." in 1775."

What I found at work
It would be interesting to find songs written as a result of a walk. Look at the first few lines, "Rock of ages, cleft for me, Let me hide myself in Thee;" I can see him walking probably using a walking stick and out in the elements a storm hits and he has to find cover. He finds a place somewhere between two rocks where there is some cover above. At 35 he is in a debate with the Wesley's and the song is part of that debate. I find it interesting that Charles Wesley penned similar words to the song some 30 years earlier. As Bugs Bunny would say, "Silly ain't we." Regardless of his motives the words reflect the metaphor in Psalms 18:2, "The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. " It is good to trust God in the storms of life.

This great hymn I find is always sung in parody in any movie or TV show I have seen. People sing it off key and they are usually pictured as bigots and judgemental. The melody we sing to was written in 1830. Maybe we need to hear it done a little different. The link below is of some kids who do a good job recording it and have a little fun as they sing it.
http://redemptionhill.com/rock-of-ages/

Today I worked on flexibility and walking indoors. Later I will have a strength workout. Stretching I think of taking long strides walking in an English countryside. I can picture Holmes and Watson walking the moors in the Hounds of the Baskervilles. Keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net