Monday, January 30, 2012

Lesson from a Hobit

Thanks Deb & Donna for sharing your trek in the woods
From the Lord of the Rings movie, this is one of my favorite quotes. Bilbo: "It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." There are surprizes, changes, dangers, and joys we never see coming. Ole Bilbo he's a wise one he is.


One never know what will happen on particular day or what challenges you are going to face. One of the things I am learning is to live in the moment. Deal with what is on the table and don't worry about the things we have no control of. Jesus said, "Therefore don’t worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." I may have concerns about the future but each day brings issues we have to deal with.
On the positives side if I walk today, it will help me tomorrow. Day to day practice will lead to my walking next year, and the years ahead. Same is true with medical advice and healthy relationships.

But we don't live in perfect world. Things happen that we didn't count on. The unexpected happens. Things you weren't looking for occur. Bilbo tells us "keep your feet" What does he mean? Hobbits have rather large feet for being only 3 feet tall. Bilbo probably was being literal refering to slipping and falling in dangerous places. He certainly was in places in his adventures where he could have fallen. Hobbits often surprize others in their skills to survive. The Bible uses feet sliping in high ground where falling could be dangerous if not fatal.
In the Bible it says,
Psalm 94:18 If I say, “My foot is slipping,” Your faithful love will support me, LORD.
Psalm 121:3 He will not allow your foot to slip; your Protector will not slumber.
I have walked in the mountains and at night and your footing is very important. Walk in my shoes a minute and do those walks with cerebral palsy. Attempt walking with uncertain balance or never being sure your muscles will cooperate and your foot drops and you trip. When you get older you will experience my world but all of have to keep our feet.

Was Biblo more than the usual hobbit? Gandolf and others thought he was. If we use the Bible metaphor, was Tolkin referring to the thoughts of Scripture? Are you an inkling? You can debate it over a pint. For me Bilbo showed and ability to deal with new and strange things. He certainly was never at a lost of words with men twice his size, dwarfs, or elves. He was resourseful and had qualities of character and physical abilities that served him well. As humans we have abilities and skills to meet the unexpected. We have more than that, we have The God Most High who is faithful  and love and is our protecter.Trust Him when the turns of life go against you. Keep walking all you little hobits


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net