Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Winter Fitness

Courtasy of Donna Dawson
When the snow first falls it is pretty. I can remember walking with a wonderful girl when the snow was falling. It was all quite romantic. Looking at freshly fallen snow that sparkles in the night I wasn't concerned about the cold or the work of clearing it. No back then snow was fantastic. I am still the best of friends with that girl after all these years so it is a good memory to recall that walk.

Last year we had a snow fall that was nearly two feet. It was a blizzard with snow thunder, high winds that kept you inside until the storm was finished. Looking out in the night I was awed by the power of the storm. It was beautiful yet I would hate to be out in those conditions. It was quite a bit different from the gentle snow fall where I was out walking the grounds of a local college.

Today I am thankful to have a warm house and a snow blower to help me dig out of a snow. It is like pushing a lawn mower so it gives me a nice workout. I have my walking DVD's to help me get in my 30 minute walks. I have simple equipment set up to get in a strength program or I can use tubing. Tubing and indoor walking with Leslie Sansone takes up very little space. Body exercizes like crunches, pushups, squats, etc. also take little space. Stretching and flexibility can be done while you use weights or tubing. There are a lot of programs you can do inside. It is cold outside but indoors you can move and increase health and fitness. A walk, a workout you feel better and chase away the winter blues.

Barb and my family encourage me. Barb walks with me. She is starting to think about using the tubing. Tubes can come with a devise that you can put in your door jam. You can do every exercise that you can do at a local gym. The tubes come with an exersize plan that is very practical. You can build muscle at 60. Muscle looks better than fat and don't worry about looking 20. By the way did you notice the days are getting longer. Keep walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net