Thursday, January 12, 2012

Snow an opportunity to move -Senior health

Finally snow has come. Working my snow blower for about an hour got a workout. I am looking for a conversion chart it feels like mowing and if it is close I walk nearly 10,000 steps. We don't think of yard work as walking but it is. If the work involves more than the walking muscles you add steps. There are good conversion charts on line. When we include normal activities reaching 10,000 steps a day is very possible. Fitness people tell me 10,000 steps in a day is like a 30 minute workout.

If in those 10,000 steps we get an aerobic walk so much the better.

In the cold my body is burning calories to keep warm. I am not a big fan of yard work but it helps to know it is part of a healthy life. Walking regularly helps us to be able to do the necessary yard work. If you have heart issues then do safe walking first. Follow doctor's advise.

In yard work you use more muscles in your entire body. As we age we can actually add muscle to our bodies. Look into strength training for seniors. There are alot of options. It should not surprise you it is good for the heart. Forget looking like fitness models. If you are like me you probably never did.

Good news my eyes have stabilized and my doctor wants to see me in a year. My Fuchs's Dystrophy awaits me sometime as I age but for now things have stabilized. I can see with glasses at 20 -15 and that is the best in my life. The arthritis in my shoulders and neck is controlled by resistant bands and medication. We have problems but I am a big fan of physical therapy. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net