Saturday, February 18, 2012

walking with the Rat Pack

The cool cat from the Rat Pack
What a beautiful day for a walk. Sunny clear skies, cool but very nice for walking. I was able to walk my 30 minutes and I worked on landing my right foot as best I could. My Cerebral Palsy has taken a toll being just a little out of alignment. My goal this year is to have as many 30 minute walks as I can. After the walk I stretched and later I will stretch again.

Working out with weights in about an hour. Moving and working my body helps me deal with what comes with CP and getting older. With stretching tomorrow I will feel better. I may be able to have another walk.

Under the hood I am sweating.
I would like to tell you I have no problems and each day I am stronger and feel better. But it seems likely I will have stress on the ankle joint to deal with. Moving stretching applying physical therapy I hope will keep me moving. I will let you know from time to time my progress. The nice thing is I have options. I can bike every other day. With my total gym I can work my joints with less stress. I can also consider swimming. Any walking plan can have cross training. Exercise has lots of freedom. Walking at home is easier on the joints than outdoors but the total effect is better on the trail with creation and fresh air.

Next day - Walked again 35 minutes, another beautiful day, spent time moving the ankle joint before the walk. Stretched out after. Cool

As we get older it makes more sense that we have things to deal with. I have had to deal with pain most of the time if I wanted to play sports or do what everybody else did. I don't like pain but it is not new to me either. Physical therapy has both helped muscle strain and arthritis. Depression and anxiety medicine has helped my sleep. Somethings like my ankle joint is chronic. One thing I know is to continue to move is my one ally. I am still walking, playing Frisbee, doing my yard work at nearly 60. If I didn't move I believe the tightness in my CP would have put me back in a wheelchair, like I was as a kid. Pain would be multiplied and the joy of walking a memory.

What are you dealing with? How does walking help you. Post it. Keep walking

2 comments:

  1. Bill, Walking is my release valve. It helps me deal with stress & pressure mostly from work. I do see a difference. It's a great release valve!

    I am so glad you are walking and able to walk. I do not know what it is like to have CP and I don't think I can accurately imagine what it is like to have CP. But I do think it is awesome that you are able to not let it prevent you from walking. - because I do know the value of the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walked again today 40 minutes. When I am outdoors I often go over my goal. I like to hear from you. I especially like to hear from those of you overseas.

    ReplyDelete

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net