Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Have you ever worked out at Henry's gym? You can smell the sweat

Working out in my basement can only make sense if you are old school. My home is roughly a 133 years old, the basement is limestone, plaster, cement floors, dusty rafters. There is nothing about it to fel like a health club.  My equipment is around my furnace and water heater.
On hot days like today it is a place to sweat. I begin with a weight routine little modified since I was a kid working out for football and wrestling. Then I move to my total gym where I do ab and leg workouts and end doing chin-ups. My body is loose and sweaty. I have been working out to celtic jigs. Now I am in the mood for a work out with a heavy bag and box three rounds to my iphone timer. I imagine Hawk and Spencer as they work out in Henry's gym from the Robert Parker novels. Hitting the bag convinces me I don't want to fight anymore, but I like the old bag. I go up to a carpeted area where I do some body exercises, like sit-ups, push-ups squats, crunches, lunges and heel raises. About this time Barb hands me a towel and doesn't want anything to do with me until I shower.
I walk up a flight of stairs and sort of feel pretty good, the ole boy can still do it.  Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net