Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Shopping can be a way to walk in the heat


I wasn't going this fast
Today's temperature was 102. Man that's hot. With my pedometer I checked out how many steps I would do shopping. I started with a mile walk on line with Leslie Sansone. I have that online in my pages. At the time I didn't know I was going shopping. As I was finishing my workout I was planning to return to research I was doing when Tanya ask me to go to Costco’s with her. It is a big store and parking lot. When we got home I helped unload the groceries and things. I looked at my pedometer nearly 7,000 steps. The store was air-conditioned but I still worked up a sweat. Sweating is no problem for me.

Barb came home and out again to shop for things we have needed. We went to the eye doctor, book store, Menards, Ace Hardware and Jewell. Unload again and pedometer was over 11,000 steps. How often do we shop? We don't think of it as a fitness activity. On a hot day, most of my walking was indoors in air. My meals were small and healthy. We slowed down in the evening and some cool drinks hit the spot.



             

We do look at shopping differently
This blog isn't exciting, but look how easy it is to walk 10,000 steps. Research has shown a pedometer motivates us. Shopping is work and it is an activity we don't give much thought when it comes too fitness, but there it is. Doctors tells us 10,000 steps a day can help us with all kinds of health issues, diabetes, improves your mood, flattens your belly, reduces body fat, and improves cholesterol. Now my belly isn't flat but since I got my insert in my shoe walking like today is not painful. I have been experiencing the benefits I did when I began tis walk program.

I have to admit I shop like a hunter. Forget the sales; I shop for what I want for reasonable cost. But the women in my life don't shop like that. I could argue that my way is better, but I have found that doesn't work. What does work for me is a pedometer and like cutting the grass it is all about moving and getting the benefits of a 10,000 step day. So a side benefit has been I am a less contentious shopper. We were made to move. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net