Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Big Year and walking

Owen Wilson, Steve Martin, Jack Black
Last night I enjoyed the movie, The Big Year. It stars Jack Black, Owen Wilson, and Steve Martin and Angela Houston, Brian Dennehy. These three and others take a year to sight as many birds as possible. They share a love of watching birds and knowing about birds that most people would find hard to live with. We see that conflict in Owen Wilson's character. The hobbyist or full time enthusiast for most of us we see as some type of geek or naturalist. The movie for me gets us to like them.
We are like Brian Dennehy's character Ray Harris, the dad of Jack Black's character Brad Harris. He views his son's obsession as a waste of time. His son living at home, divorced, in middle age, alone, the dad has a point. But the son lives his dream. It is a movie, we can go along with it for a couple of hours. Dad Harris has his own crisis, a heart attack and a change of heart about his son's quest. He joins his son on one of his adventures which changes both men.
The characters really love birds. Their love for birds is basic to their appeal and why I liked the movie. Not a bad idea to care about something.
See the movie, I think you will like it. Read what birders think of the movie.
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/roundrobin/2011/10/18/birds-birders-and-birding-in-the-big-year-what-we-noticed/
After you see the movie listen to the passion of a guy who has won a big year. http://www.nabirding.com/2011/10/04/interview-with-sandy-komito-on-what-it-takes/
I have walked trails and have seen bird watchers and talked to a few. I have always have had pleasant conversations with them.  Ian Flemming's James Bond was named for a bird watcher. In the movie and what I have seen, walking is part of the birdwatchers hobby. In turn in my walking birdwatching has become part of my walking. Photography as well. My camera would need a serious update to really photograph birds. There are people who have seen up to 8,000 species of birds in their life time. Inspired by the movie, Barb and I have begun a count how many birds we have spotted over the years. Her and I, since we walk together has noticed our feather friends, mostly with the ear and naked eye. She spots them usually first, I'm to busy with the walk. I tend to be watching the trail and things I may trip on. I do tend to notice the sounds of people and see them. Birds can be seen in the morning or evening. It is at those times when they make sounds. Like flowers, birds are colorful and brighten our world. I am glad God created the variety of them.
Birders love and care about birds. They learn about them and do their best to help us care for them.  That is a good thing. In the Bible God uses His care of birds to teach us He cares even more for us. (Matt. 6:25-33) In fact the Bible tells us us that we can be"casting all your care on Him, because He cares about you." We all have worries and fears and the need for care and love. God is One you can always talk to about them. When I am on the trail or outside, looking at birds, the sky, flowers, water, mountains or valleys I can talk to Him abut my cares. Come to think of it I can do it indoors as well. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net