Thursday, July 26, 2012

Don't you love the freedom to walk and speak

Voula Papachristou
On my walks, I greet people who are .different ages and cultural backgrounds. Many of them are talking different languages. They may even have different reasons for walking. Some are are romantic, some are fishermen, some are out for the view and to clear their heads. We smile and share a moment but I can't read their minds and I am glad for that. For sure there are walkers like me who are older and walk everyday for the same reasons. Heaven forbid I have to share the path with bikers who are moving to fast, but somehow we all survive. Learning to get along with people different from me has taken a life time. I haven't always been the sweet guy I am. The things that have come out of my mouth.
Being a very common fellow has given me a chance to grow. I think our kids need the same time. I rarely get controversial but I think young people should be allowed freedom of speech, and given space to make mistakes. People are known to say stupid things. If I had political correctness thrown in my face when I was young I would never had the chance to grow. The young athlete thrown off the Greece team for a joke, probably had a lot more to do with sponsors than feelings of offence. What happened to coaches and powers to be actually talking to the athlete. (Think of the great story between Smelling and Lewis)
How about the Olympic spirit where people of differences meet and compete. Years ago a team mate named Earl and I became friends. We were different race at a time when when it really was a problem. His friendship challenged my views of race at the time.  I am glad our conversations weren't taped. Without knowing Earl, I could have never gone to Africa or worked in a multicultural setting. Europe is going through their own race problems. We don't always say the right things, there is a line between freedom and liable. Did the athlete need to be challenged? How about actually talking to her? I do know if she meets athletes different from her in the events she competes, she may have had an opportunity to have a real change.
Kids say the darnedest things. They are the ones who are facing the world we gave them. Often there is a lot against them. Are they ready for those who are educated and in power to always say the right thing. Know they are emotional and can change mood and feelings with in minutes. How about if we step up and actually care what they are saying and feeling. The Olympic team acted out of a corporate mindset. 
Her joke was dumb and careless, but if Chris Rock said it, all we be saying is who writes his material. When  was younger I said far worse. But then I had Earl one year older than me who became my friend and changed the way I looked at things. Meeting and talking is always better than image keeping of political correctness.
With kids the social network for them is part of their private world, they need to know it is not so private, but we need to cut them some slack.
You can read her joke and apology and make your own opinion. Keep walking
http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2012/07/25/greek-olympics-athlete-triggers-outrage-with-racist-comment-expelled-from-olympics-2012/
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ih3mcp

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net