Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Day at the Zoo

A good walk to beat the heat - Lincoln Park Zoo

Not all walks are aerobic but they are good for us. We have all been to zoos, amusement parks, museums and outings when we are done we are tired. It seems like we walk so slowly and we don't know why we get tired. Take a pedometer with you and you will find out why. All those apparent slow steps when pick up between exhibits add up. My trip to the zoo added up over 15,000 steps, effort wise that is almost 8 miles. I think the actual distance is shorter because of the length of steps. I have read articles that inform us when we walk 10,000 are like a thirty minute aerobic workout. So I had a 45 minute workout. And here I thought I was enjoying a day at the zoo. I posted pictures on face book.

Digital photography isn't it wonderful
I took a lunch break in the shade and a break in the afternoon before we walked out of the park about a mile to go home. At Lincoln Park Zoo there is a lot of shade as you walk along. If you get to Chicago it is worth visiting. The lake front and parks are filled with joggers, hikers, and bikers. In July you will find swimmers to in the Lake. City people are better walkers than their country cousins. The lake gives those who walk the trail there a breeze and wave sounds that can give your ears and eyes an illusion of seclusion from the city if you look out towards the lake.

Ah the adventure begins
Liam was spell bound by the zoo. He walked for a while but became flush and needed to escape in the shade of his stroller. Many of the animals were asleep in the shade. The zebra, gorilla and giraffe all peak his interest as they happened to be moving around as we passed. He was able to make the connection to the animals from the many books he loves to read to. None of the animals compare to the delight of the water sprinklers. The zoo like many good zoos has quite the gardens. Summer time stay hydrated and make the strolls part of your health plan. As many of my friends would remind me, I'm blessed. Again thanks Chicago and zoo lovers there. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net