Thursday, July 19, 2012

Walking, resistant training and stretching help our brains

Make the changes or walking, diet, and resistant training,
you will thank me when you 90
I read an article in the New York Times today that gave another indicator for the onset of dementia, how we walk. As we age our gate may change and get slower and lack stability. This change may also help us know dementia early enough to seek treatment or care. In the comment section, Beth reported her husband had run for 20 years and when joint pain increased aerobically walked for 15 years. Then he just wanted to sit and not walk. That change singled her and their doctor to test for early signs of dementia. She reported that help her care for her husband as he declined.  see article

A related article showed studies that show aerobic or moderate walking 30 to 45 minutes three times a week and resistant training ad stretching at least twice a week helped improve brain size and function particularly in memory. see article
I have seen report after report of how exercise in older adults can increase the size and health of our brains. As we move of brains are working in all the ways to do the activity. I believe it is better for our brain than crossword puzzles and learning new activities or interests. These things as well help our brain function as well a socializing. As we age we need to exercise, learn and make friends to stay healthy. Making these changes can give us more healthy days and quality of life in those days.
I have to admit this hot summer has made it a challenge to find time to walk. There was a 65 year old man who passed away walking one of the local trails. The trail he walked had no places for shade and is one of the reasons I support putting trees on trails that are designed to be a prairie trail. These trails can have large openings to the prairies for viewing, but they should also give shade for those who are walking these trails. I am convinced that trees are good for our mental and physical health and give structure to an prairie view.
Probably there is no way we can protect people who chose to experience the great outdoors. There is always a risk. Walking daily and keeping track of our health enables one to enjoy activities in our 60's, 70's and beyond, but extreme heat we need to take caution. Every health expert I have read warns about exercise in the warm weather. On days when weather was in the upper 90's or hundreds, the fat man workout indoors. I was able to do my strength training and indoor walking with Leslie Sansone. I also had my water near by and took frequent sips. When I go to Florida later this summer I will walk early in the morning before the sun rises above the houses. Take care in the heat.
I read a blog which highlighted why we walk for life. We can add over 3 years of life with solid diet and exercise lifestyle and we can add 8 years of the life we live in better health. So if I live to 80 that means I will be active in my 70's rather than immobile. Of course we could get sick and ill but we are more likely to be active when we care for ourselves than if we don't. see article
I have been reading about emotional health and exercise but that will be another day. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net