Friday, January 3, 2014

Do we confuse perfection and sincerity?

Perfection would be a few weeks in the Caribbean
Photo by Lisa Brocek
Do we confuse sincerity and perfection? One is obtainable the other is not in this life.
1 Tim. 1:5 Now the goal of our instruction is love that comes from a pure heart, a good conscience, and a sincere faith. 6 Some have deviated from these and turned aside to fruitless discussion. 7 They want to be teachers of the law, although they don't understand what they are saying or what they are insisting on. 8 But we know that the law is good, provided one uses it legitimately. HCSB
The goal of learning and studying the Bible is to grow in life to be fruitful (life generating principles of Godly behavior that is beneficial to self and others.) A pure heart is capable of producing fruit in hers or his life. They are genuinely a child of God and their life they produce the fruit of the spirit and help others have faith and live in the faith. They are able to know right and wrong and discern principles or things that matter from their study of Scriptures. An example of this type of learning can be found in a study of God's Word from Dr. Gene Getz. He has great studies through the Bible on video or audio on line I think you would find very helpful.
I was thinking of the word "sincere". In the Holman Christian Study Bible sincere is defined "sin·cere adj. (-cer·er, -cer·est) free from pretense or deceit; proceeding from genuine feelings: they offer their sincere thanks to Paul. (of a person) saying what they genuinely feel or believe; not dishonest or hypocritical." New Oxford American Dictionary. I believe one can be sincere without being perfect. If one is not perfect they are not hypocritical. I believe the idea of perfection is what others expect Christians to be. The silliness of expectations can be even harsher in the church. One might expect perfection in the preacher for example. I have yet to meet anyone who is perfect. I come close (LOL). 
Back to the fat man walking, I hope to be genuine in my pursuit of health but the very ideal is impossible to obtain due to the fall and experience of aging and death. In someways I am very successful and in other ways I have struggled. So it is always a good idea to address my faults and make progress. The hope is to round off my years with as many healthy days as I can. The basics of a good medical team and care, healthful moderation and diet, exercise that includes aerobics, strengthening and flexibility, growing spiritually and socially all blend in together into a well lived life. Plenty to work on for me. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net