Monday, January 6, 2014

Baby its cold outside

I know there are hearty walkers and runners outside today and I know they know how to care for themselves in frigged weather. Layer's, skin covered and care to protect lungs. But for many of us there are days when it is too cold to be out in the cold. Extremes require care. How do we move on cold days?
Exercise bikes, treadmills, In Home Walking, can all be a big help. Yesterday clearing the snow was a workout. Today was a visit to the arctic. Tomorrow it will start to warm up but likely to cold to be outside. So these are perfect days for indoor fitness. For me I walked with a Leslie Sansone Workout. These walks can be a total fitness workout. Barb and I get a new one every year to add to our variety. Learn the four basic steps and you can walk watching TV.
It is easy to do circuit training with bands, dumbbells, body exercises like squats, crunches, lunges, dips, push-ups. Do a movement like curls and walk for a minute with walking in place, side to side, knee raises, kicks and move to a different strength move. It is really easy to do 10 minute, 20 minute, 30 minute workouts. Be smart and know what you can do and check with doctor if you have been sedimentary. Most of us can become movers.
Indoor walking can help with the winter blues.
When it comes to seasonal mood swings winter is here. Cold, shorter days, harder to be outside need a little thought how to make the most of it. Here are somethings I am exploring: A wood project right now I am looking for a wanted project. I can do somethings but others skills are a work in progress. Perfection won't be my expectation, but maybe an improved technique? Working with the kids in wood shop the biggest tip I can pass on is take time. Do a step at a time. I have enjoyed my reading. Reading for fun is something I have learned to do with dealing with anxiety attacks. Read the authors you like and enjoy your own recommendations. Having this blog gives me focus on other reading I may do. It is like having something to do that gets you going. Along these lines find ways to help others. One way I find is to pray for others. Since God hears very well I don't have to repeat my prayers over and over. Have a shut in friend, visit and share a movie or audio book. From all my outdoor cooking I figured out how to follow and cook book, share a meal. A lot of older folk have not not had a meal with good taste. That may be a real encouragement. Good smells out of the kitchen can make a cold day better for anyone.
There is no doubt about it texting is here to stay. So I text my grand-kids and they return them pretty good. Send pictures and kids will send pictures back. Cold days are good days to make a call. But don't over do it. As funny as I think it would be, don't call at 5 in the morning, unless it is an life and death emergency.
With the internet winter is a good time to watch funny shows. Barb and I watched the Doc Martin series and did a lot of laughing. If you give it a thought I bet you can come up with some good things for winter season. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net